ABTA reminds families about great overseas offers for this school holiday
ABTA – The Travel Association is reminding families that it’s not too late to book an affordable overseas holiday as the majority of schools break up for the summer holidays this weekend.
The start of the school holidays also coincides with the first weekend since the Government removed the requirement for double vaccinated adults and children under the age of 18 to self-isolate on return from Amber list destinations* – making it much easier for more people to travel abroad.
Destinations on the Amber and Green list open to travellers this summer include family favourites such as Spain, including the Canary Islands and Balearics, Portugal along with Madeira, as well as Greece and Croatia.
Going on an overseas holiday was the most frequently mentioned activity people looked forward to after all legal restrictions lifted on 19th July, according to an Office of National Statistics survey of the public released last week. This was the case for 54% of adults, rising to 62% among 16-29 year olds1.
New research from ABTA2 also shows that holidaymakers are 25% more likely to book a holiday with a travel professional now than before the pandemic, with half citing the security of a package holiday (47%) as their main reason, followed by trusting travel companies to look after them (42%), and the travel professional’s up-to-date advice (40%).
ABTA says it is very important that anyone booking an overseas trip checks the Foreign Office (FCDO) travel advice for the country they intend to visit. Countries may also have their own rules regarding visitors from the UK, including showing vaccination status or testing requirements, and these can be found in the Entry Requirements section of the travel advice. ABTA has also put together comprehensive advice to help you plan your trip www.abta.com/readysteadytravel
To help people travel this summer, some ABTA Members and airlines have arranged significantly reduced charges for testing for their customers. Families should also bear in mind that young children under four are exempt from testing.
Mark Tanzer ABTA Chief Executive said:
“Many families will be looking forward to taking a break this summer and there are some great and very affordable overseas holidays on offer. We would recommend booking a package holiday with an ABTA member offering flexible booking conditions, taking out comprehensive travel insurance and checking the Foreign Office travel advice for your destination.
Understanding all the requirements for travel during a pandemic can be bewildering, which is why our team of experts has put together comprehensive and clear guidance for you on abta.com.”
A sample of just some of the great value package holidays available this summer from ABTA Members, all of these include a baggage allowance and free airport transfers.
- Tenerife, Playa De Las Americas, 3 star Apartments, 7 nights self-catering departing on 2nd August. £419 per person
- Costa Balance, Benidorm, 3+ star Aparthotel, 7 nights self-catering departing on 28th August. £419 per person
- Portugal, Faro 4 star Aparthotel, Faro, 7 nights self-catering, departing on 17th August. £648 per person
- Gran Canaria, La Playa Del Tauro, Superior Three Bedroom Villa, 7 nights self-catering departing on 29th August. £649 per person
- Dubrovnik, Milni, 3 star Hotel, 7 nights bed and breakfast departing on 7th August. £589 per person.
- Ibiza, Alua Miami, 7 nights half board basis departing on 13th August. £719 per person
- Madeira, Machico, 3 star hotel, 7 nights bed and breakfast departing on 9th August. £449 per person
- Costa Blanca, Alicante, 3 star hotel, half board basis, departing on 1st August 2021. £656 per person
- Zante, Tsilvi, 3 star Hotel, 7 nights bed and breakfast departing on 2nd August. £469 per person
- Larnaca, Protaras, Three Bedroom Villa, 7 nights self-catering departing on 25th August. £519 per person based on 6 sharing
- Kavos, 3 star Maisonette, 7 nights self-catering departing on 5th August. £349 per person
- Rhodes, Pefkos, 3 star hotel, 7 nights self-catering departing on 4th August. £339 per person
- Majorca, Pollensa, Villa 7 nights self-catering departing from on 28th August. £819 per person based on 6 sharing
*With the exception of France.
Notes to editors
1 Coronavirus and the social impacts on Great Britain: 16 July 2021 - Coronavirus and the social impacts on Great Britain: 16 July 2021 - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)
2 ABTA consumer sentiment research conducted by The Nursery Research and Planning (www.the-nursery.net/) at the beginning of July 2021, with a nationally representative sample of 500 consumers.
ABTA has been a trusted travel brand for over 70 years. Our purpose is to help our Members to grow their businesses successfully and sustainably, and to help their customers travel with confidence.
The ABTA brand stands for support, protection and expertise. This means consumers have confidence in ABTA and a strong trust in ABTA Members. These qualities are core to us as they ensure that holidaymakers remain confident in the holiday products that they buy from our Members.
We help our Members and their customers navigate through today's changing travel landscape by raising standards in the industry; offering schemes of financial protection; providing an independent complaints resolution service should something go wrong; giving guidance on issues from sustainability to health and safety and by presenting a united voice to government to ensure the industry and the public get a fair deal.
ABTA has more than 4,300 travel brands in Membership, providing a wide range of leisure and business travel services, with a combined annual UK turnover of £39 billion. For more details about what we do, what being an ABTA Member means and how we help the British public travel with confidence visit www.abta.com.