Travel and tourism is the UK’s fifth largest industry, accounting for 9% of UK GDP or £127bn. The industry supports 3.12 million jobs, and has created a third of all new employment since 2010. To promote jobs and growth, ABTA has outlined key priorities for the UK’s travel and tourism industry for 2015, and beyond:
- Act urgently to increase airport capacity once the Airports Commission completes its work and delivers recommendations.
- Invest in infrastructure across all transport modes, enhancing surface access and connectivity, while improving services for passengers and businesses alike.
- Further reform and reduce Air Passenger Duty to ensure the UK is a more competitive place to invest in, trade with, and visit.
- Embed a cohesive approach to tourism policy in support of the UK’s vibrant mix of outbound, inbound and domestic travel and tourism businesses and the jobs we support.
- Ensure completion of consumer protection reforms to provide coherent protection for the travelling public and a balanced regulatory environment for UK businesses.