ABTA’s advanced level health and safety training day is for travel industry professionals who have a good understanding of the basics of health and safety and want to develop their knowledge further.
Attendees will be provided with detailed guidance to ensure health and safety standards are met across all travel products including accommodation, transport, excursions, tours and experiences.
As health, safety and security continues to be a top priority for many travellers, ensuring the safety and wellbeing of customers is a key priority for the travel industry.
Attend this training day and learn how to work with your suppliers to reduce risks and identify and manage defects. Get the latest legal update on changes to your obligations under the 2018 Package Travel Regulations and ensure you have a suitable safety management system for your business.
Sessions will look at what to do when things go wrong and the practical steps you can take to manage situations. You will also be guided through the role of a witness in litigation and inquiries and take part in a practical exercise to prepare to give evidence in court.
Hear from ABTA, legal experts, health and safety specialists and travel industry speakers and discuss common issues and challenges with industry peers.
- Legal update: changes to your obligations, understanding your contractual arrangements with suppliers and your legal responsibilities on tours and excursions
- Working with bedbank providers and ground agents to ensure effective safety systems are in place
- Risk assessments, checks and safety in adventurous environments
- Implementing you incident response plan when things go wrong
- The role of a witness in litigation and inquiries
- Practical exercise – preparing to give evidence in court
- Understand the evolving nature of safety management systems and getting buy in across the business
- Hear top tips for working with suppliers to reduce risks and defects
- Take part in a panel discussion on practical steps to take when things go wrong
- Get an update on your legal obligations under the Package Travel Regulations
- Learn from industry speakers who will share their experiences of working with bedbank providers, ground agents and DMCs
- Further your knowledge on evidence gathering and the role of lay witnesses and expert witnesses
- Take part in a practical exercise on drafting a witness statement, giving evidence and being cross examined.
This event is ideal for anyone in travel with responsibility for destinations and customer health and safety including:
- Managing directors, directors and senior managers
- Health and safety teams
- Operations teams
- Health and safety legal teams
- Product and destinations teams
- Customer relations, customer care and customer support teams.
Moderator: Angela Hills, Head of Destinations, ABTA
Angela is the Senior Destinations Manager at ABTA, with responsibility for destination operations, health and safety, crisis management and incident management. She is one of ABTA’s key points of contact for government representatives (UK, EU and destinations) on destination-related issues and projects. Angela is a regular speaker on behalf of the tourism industry at UK and international conferences, delivering health and safety, crisis and operational training to suppliers and Governments in destinations. In addition, Angela is a key industry stakeholder representative for EU and international committees for destination and safety related matters.
Angela has over 25 years travel industry experience having joined the industry in 1988, working in various management roles both overseas and in the UK, for a major UK tour operator. In September 1998 she was appointed as the Head of Health and Safety and Operational Support for the Federation of Tour Operators (FTO) and International Federation of Tour Operators (IFTO). Since July 2008 when FTO merged with ABTA - The Travel Association, Angela has been responsible for destination operations, health and safety, crisis management and incident management within the Destinations & Sustainability department.
- Moderator: Angela Hills, Head of Destinations, ABTA
- Sarah Mayne ,Health, Safety and Environment Manager, Virgin Atlantic Holidays
- Paul Austin, Head of Safety and Risk, Group Security, Health and Safety, TUI Group
- Heather Pennock, Destinations Manager – Health, Safety, Crisis & Operations, ABTA
- Lucy Crabb, Head of Safety, Exodus
Zoe McAndrew, Safety Excellence Manager, Travelopia
- Jason Burnett, Group Technical Director, Intertek Cristal
- Claire McKinney, Group Director Legal, Contracts & HR, Intertek Cristal
- Claire Mulligan, Partner, Kennedys
ABTA Member/ABTA Partner* rate – £235 plus VAT
Non-Member rate – £355 plus VAT
This includes lunch and refreshments throughout the day, all delegate materials, presentations and an attendee certificate.
Make payment by credit or debit card.
View our booking terms and conditions here.
- Book three places and get 50% off the third place.
(This discount will be automatically applied when you book online.)
- If you are looking to book for a larger group please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a bespoke discount.
*To qualify for the ABTA Member/Partner discount you must have a current ABTA Member/Partner number or your application must be in progress when the event takes place.
Non-Members are welcome to attend. For information about becoming a Member click here.
Founded in 2003 in the UK, Intertek Cristal and Intertek Checkpoint are trusted partners to major hotels and tour operators around the world providing a unique range of assurance solutions to the industry. Through its Cristal Standard Solutions and Checkpoint branded audit and software solutions, Intertek enables hoteliers, restauranteurs and tour operators to meet the highest industry-specific health & safety and security standards.
With global network of more than 3,000 auditors, Intertek provides the right set of tools and inspections, to provide total quality assurance to all its customers through 18 internationally recognized standards of excellence.
For information on sponsorship opportunities please contact Matt Turton on 07766 517 611 or email email@example.com.