ABTA’s Legionella training returns in March 2023.
Attend this two-day training to gain practical advice on the prevention of Legionnaires disease in tourist establishments.
This event includes a site visit to risk assess the different water systems at the hotel. Due to the practical nature of this training places are limited.
Travel associated Legionnaires’ disease incidents are regarded as one of the most serious problems that any hotel can face. In this sense, a legionellosis prevention plan is an essential part of any Safety Management System.
As most accommodation has now re-opened following the pandemic, it is imperative to check water systems and air conditioning units that lay dormant for several months.
This two-day training will provide guidance and support on how to get started with prevention and control of Legionnaires’ disease in accommodation sites.
Tailored for health and safety executives of the travel industry, this theoretical-practical seminar provides the essentials for identifying risk factors that can favour Legionella persistence and proliferation in the different water system of hotels, gives the basis on how to minimise the risk of infections and discuss the different options to deal with incidents.
- Principles of Legionellosis prevention
- Legionella Risk Assessments in hotels: moving from theory to practice
- Assessing compliance with the 15-point plan
- Desktop risk assessments: purpose and limitations
- Practical case studies
- Taking place at the Sandman Gatwick hotel, you will have the chance to inspect hotel facilities and deliver a practical risk assessment of the different water systems of the hotel.
Dr Sebastian Crespi is a specialist consultant in laboratory medicine. He is currently the chair of Biolinea Int., a company that provides an international consultancy service for public health in tourism worldwide.
He has served as a member of World Health Organization expert groups on Legionella, which prepared the guidelines for the quality of drinking water and the book “Legionella and the prevention of legionellosis”. He has been invited by ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) on different occasions as both an expert and tutor for consultation and training. He has been a TAIEX expert (surveillance and control of communicable diseases) for the European Commission. He is a co-author of the 'European Guidelines for the prevention, control and investigation, of infections caused by Legionella species'. Finally, he has been the leading author of the sections water management and Legionnaires’ disease of the ABTA Health & Safety Technical Guide.
- Get practical and implementable guidance in the field of Legionella prevention and control
- Take part in a practical risk assessment exercise, including an inspection of facilities at the hotel
- Industry case studies – learn from the expert
- Discuss with your industry colleagues your policies and procedures and learn how to improve them.
The event is ideal for health and safety professionals at tour operators:
- Health and safety teams
- Operations managers
- Crisis and incident managers
- Risk management personnel.
ABTA Member/ABTA Partner* rate – £415 plus VAT
Non-Member rate – £535 plus VAT
*To qualify for the ABTA Member/Partner discount you must have a current ABTA Member/Partner number or your application must be in progress when the event takes place.
Non-Members are welcome to attend ABTA Conferences and Events. For information about becoming a Member click here.
View our booking terms and conditions here.