ABTA’s Delivering Sustainable Travel conference returns for 2024. This event is designed for travel and tourism providers based in the UK or overseas, who are committed to making travel more sustainable.
This flagship conference, now in its fifth year, will provide travel businesses of all sizes with practical advice on how to take action to deliver sustainable practices across their organisation. Travel agents, tour operators and wider industry are welcome to attend.
ABTA’s Delivering Sustainable Travel conference will take a very practical look at how we can use tourism in a sustainable way to deliver growth within environmental limits.
Travel and tourism can be a powerful force for good, not only supporting jobs and livelihoods at home and in destinations, but also often promoting the preservation of culture and nature. Attendees will examine how to ensure their continued business growth and recovery is sustainable and positively contributes to communities, natural ecosystems, and cultural heritage across the globe. You will learn what you can do to reduce carbon emissions, how to measure your carbon footprint and set reduction targets.
Attend this event to hear from destinations and tour operators alike who will share examples of taking a collective approach to ensure benefits of tourism are felt by all. Learn from sustainability experts and industry representatives on how they are approaching sustainability across their businesses.
The event will address how to tackle sustainability internally and get buy in from stakeholders and senior leadership, and discuss how to set roles and responsibilities internally, and what skillsets are needed to tackle responsible travel goals.
Attend this flagship conference to get up-to-date, practical advice on how to take action to deliver sustainable practices across your organisation.
- Opening keynote on the direction of sustainable travel
- Opening panel discussion: Industry challenges and opportunities shaping sustainable travel today
- In conversation: responsible tourism and human rights
- Industry case studies
- Discussion group roundtables (breakout sessions)
- Panel discussion: technology and innovation driving sustainable travel forward.
- Moderator: Susan Deer, Director of Industry Relations, ABTA
Susan joined ABTA in 2016 as Senior Solicitor, providing legal advice to ABTA Member businesses, as well as services to support ABTA’s public affairs and trade relations activity. She has extensive experience in the travel industry, having worked in hotel reservations, tour operating and business travel before beginning her legal career. Since October 2019, as Director of Industry Relations, Susan is responsible for managing relationships with UK travel industry stakeholders, FCO and destination government liaison and overseeing sustainability, operations, crisis management and health & safety in destinations.
- Carol Rose, Head of Sustainability, ABTA
- Prue Stone, Director of Sustainability, Hotelplan UK
- Dr. Anke Winchenbach, Senior Lecturer & Researcher, University of Surrey
- Paul Conroy, Head of Partnerships, Byway
- Claire Ross, Director of Sustainability, DER Touristik
- Melissa Tilling, Chief Executive Officer, Sustainable Journeys
Additional speakers will be announced shortly and will include representatives from tour operators, travel agents, sustainability experts, destinations and more.
- Hear industry case studies from peers on how they are addressing sustainability issues across their businesses
- Hear how to develop a consistent sustainable policy across your business operations, products and suppliers
- Understand where to look for help and practical guidance as you develop and implement your strategy
- Understand the tools and support available from ABTA to help you develop a sustainable business approach
- Network and discuss common challenges with industry peers and sustainability experts.
This conference is for travel agents, tour operators and the wider travel industry including:
- Directors and senior managers from travel companies of all sizes
- Sustainability and CSR Teams
- Marketing and communications teams
- Product and sales teams
- ABTA Member/Partner rate*: £289+ VAT
- Non Member rate: £399 + VAT
This includes lunch and refreshments throughout the day, post-event networking drinks reception, a certificate of attendance, and access to presentation slides after the event.
Those also booking the Communicating Sustainability training day on 21 March, can apply for a 25% discount on the price of the training day. Please email email@example.com.
ABTA is hosting a limited amount of free places for members who are solely travel agencies. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire and find out more.
Book three places and get 50% off the third place.
(This discount will be automatically applied when you book online.)
• If you are looking to book for a larger group please contact email@example.com for a bespoke discount.
*To qualify for the ABTA Member/Partner discount you must have a current ABTA Member/Partner number or your application must be in progress when the event takes place.