This one-day seminar delivers practical guidance to help cruise industry professionals investigate and handle claims more effectively. With information tailored for the cruise industry, the event will cover three types of litigation:
• Breach of contract
• Illness claims
When things go wrong on a cruise, from extreme weather and force majeure to delays, itinerary changes, accidents, norovirus and gastric illness, you may receive a claim.
Attend this hands-on training seminar to improve your understanding of liability and the legal claims process.
Get an update on the new Package Travel Regulations, the Athens Convention and the Strasbourg Convention and how they apply to cruise. Hear updated advice on your legal obligations from Hill Dickinson, a leading law firm in the cruise sector. Let ABTA walk you through the steps you need to take when you receive a claim. Take the opportunity to participate in three different group exercises and learn from other cruise companies who handle claims.
- Your legal obligations as a cruise provider or travel agent selling cruise
- First steps when you receive a Letter of Claim
- Preparing a small claims defence
- Building relationships with insurers and suppliers
- Illness claims – food poisoning, norovirus and other
- Accidents – knowing your legal obligations and notifying insurers
- Who is responsible when things go wrong, including liability for customers on excursions?
- Evidence gathering and investigating a claim, disclosure
- Moderator: Susan Deer, Senior Solicitor, ABTA
- Ian Sephton, Customer Claims Team Manager, TUI UK & Ireland
- Emmanuel Michelakakis, General Counsel, Cruise & Maritime Voyages
- Javed Ali, Legal Consultant, Hill Dickinson LLP
- John Caddies, Partner and Head of PI, Travel & Regulatory, Hill Dickinson LLP
- Laura Wilson, Senior Associate, Hill Dickinson LLP
- Sarah Barnes, Senior Associate, Hill Dickinson LLP
- Monica Lambrou-Whiting, Senior Associate, West of England
- Helen Chittenden, Associate, West of England
You will also hear from a range of cruise companies who handle claims on an ongoing basis.
- Deepen your understanding of cruise law and learn about your liability as a cruise provider or agent
- Hear what the law says about limitation periods, mitigation, misrepresentation and remedies
- Listen to industry case studies on force majeure and cruise illness claims
- Hear the perspective of an insurer on the information they require and in what circumstances they settle claims
- Consider ways to gather evidence on-board and post-cruise
- Take part in three practical exercises relating to breach of contract, accidents and illness claims
- Network with industry colleagues and share experiences with those in a similar role to you
Cruise professionals who are involved in the handling of claims, including cruise providers, travel agencies and insurers:
- Legal teams and litigation managers
- Claims handling teams
- Customer service and guest experience teams
- Directors and senior managers.
ABTA Member/ABTA Partner* rate – £235 plus VAT
Non-Member rate – £355 plus VAT
Book three places and get 50% off the third place.
(This discount will be automatically applied when you book online.)
If you are looking to book for a larger group please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a bespoke discount.
Make payment by debit or credit card. UK VAT will be applied.
ABTA Members can also request an invoice.
*To qualify for the ABTA Member/Partner discount you must have a current ABTA Member/Partner number or your application must be in progress when the event takes place.
Hill Dickinson is one of the UK's premier law firms known for its legal advice to the travel industry. It advises tour operators, cruise operators, travel agents and airlines across the industry on various aspects as diverse as the Package Travel Regulations themselves, right through to the smallest detail in drafting operators booking terms and conditions. Recognised as leaders in their field, ranked at number 1 in the Legal 500 they have particular expertise in defence of personal injury claims, commercial matters and regulatory issues. The firm acts as a trusted adviser to businesses, organisations and individuals.
The travel team’s client base includes:
Celestyal Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines , Carnival UK and Carnival Corporation, Louis Hotels, Silverseas Cruises, Disney Cruise Lines, Ritz-Carlton Yachts, Cruise and Maritime, P&O Ferries, Irish Ferries, Avalon Cruises, Rivera Travel, Royal Air Maroc, Mundy Cruises, West of England P&I Insurance, Steamship P&I Insurance, Charles Taylor P&I Insurance, Thomas Miller P&I Insurance, Skuld Insurance, AIG (Europe), Cyprus, Wexas Ltd, Viking Ocean Cruises and Saga Cruises.
For more information visit www.hilldickinson.com or contact Javed.email@example.com
For details on how to promote your company via headline sponsorship, branding and exhibition, contact Matt Turton on 020 3693 0194 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view our commercial opportunities brochure click here.